Assisted Living in Shavano Park, TX
You’ve been trying to figure out how you can convince your mother to at least consider moving into an assisted living community. You know she has difficulty tending to her own care and has, to date, refused to even consider the prospect of a home care aide. You worry about her health and safety, but you also are concerned with the fact that she isn’t doing too much throughout the day.
Any time you call or stop by she is either watching TV, sitting reading the newspaper, or just sitting outside watching the neighbors, counting cars go by, and other seemingly mundane and uninspiring activities.
You know that if she moves into an assisted living facility she would be much happier because of all of the activities she could take part in. She used to love arts and crafts and these are some of the most popular activities in these particular communities. Convincing your mother to at least consider assisted living may certainly be a challenge.
Here are three ways you may be able to go about talking to her and convincing her to think about it.
1. Find out what type of activities actually go on at a particular facility. This will require you to stop by an assisted living facility and speak to somebody there. They may be able to provide a tour, but you should focus on the activities they do on a regular basis. You can then relay this information to your mother and she can actually understand exactly what type of things she can expect there.
2. Rely on other family members and friends. There is strength in numbers and when you have siblings or other family members who truly care about your mother and want what’s best for her all saying the same thing, she may be more inclined to listen. It doesn’t always work out that way, and your mother may feel as though this is an attack on her, so you need to approach this in a calm and rational manner.
3. Bring her to visit one or more of these facilities. Your mother should certainly visit an assisted living facility to actually see what it looks like, what it feels like, and notice how other residents act and react. When people look happy, are laughing, and are pleasant and friendly, it shows the facility to be a potentially great option.
These steps could very well help you convince your aging mother to at least take some time and consider assisted living.
For more information about Pipestone Place Assisted Living in San Antonio, TX or to take a tour, call today (210) 718-0211.
- 7 Benefits of Memory Care for Seniors and Their Loved ones - September 26, 2022
- Memory Care: How to Decide on the ‘When’ and What to Do Until Then - August 30, 2022
- Supporting A Loved One with Dementia: A Guide for Family Caregivers - July 21, 2022