Choosing the perfect assisted living center for your parents is one of the most significant decisions you will make – with their help of course. They are two of the most important people in your life, and this is a big move for them. So, this decision should not be entered lightly. You should ask lots of questions and make sure that you are all satisfied with the answers.
The activities available within the assisted living community are a crucial part of the everyday lives of the residents. It is important that everyone find something of interest to them that they can participate in. Otherwise, they will tend to isolate themselves in their apartment, which is not healthy. Here are some appropriate questions to ask:
- Are there choices between group and individual activities available?
- Are there volunteers who are willing to work with and help residents so they can participate and enjoy themselves if they need assistance?
- Is there transportation provided for activities that are not located at the assisted living center? For example, seniors programs held in other locations, plays and productions within the greater community?
- Are craft supplies available outside of the regularly scheduled craft activities?
- Are you able to obtain a recreation event calendar for future reference?
What kinds of services are available at the facility, including nursing, medical, personal grooming etc.? It is also useful to inquire about additional costs for any of these services. Here is a sample set of questions to ask.
- Are the staff members qualified to help residents in the administration of medication? If so, what are their qualifications and how is this service arranged?
- Is assistance available for bathing or showering, and grooming?
- What kind of professional nursing services are available on site? If not, how are nursing arrangements made?
- Are there therapists available within the center for residents’ use? This could include a psychologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, marriage and family therapist.
It is very important that staff be friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and well trained. Go to the facility for a visit and try to meet some of the staff members impromptu so that they don’t know you are coming. Here are some questions you can ask:
- What are the required qualifications for the staff members? What training have they completed?
- Are the staff members positive in their attitude and courteous?
- Do the staff members show interest in the residents? Do they know them and call them by name?
For more information about Pipestone Place Assisted Living Facilities in Alamo Heights, TX or to take a tour, call today (210) 718-0211.