One of the biggest advantages to an assisted living center is the social opportunity. There is a little bit of transition to make when first moving in, but planning ahead and looking around for the right facility ahead of time really makes the transition a lot easier.
Helping your parents find the right assisted living facility? Are they ready emotionally for this change? Are they starting to have difficulty doing essential daily tasks of living such as showering and dressing, running necessary errands, getting around the house, cleaning and cooking meals? They can get the daily supports they need, and yet remain as independent as possible.
The idea of leaving their home may be difficult for them at first, but once they realize they can rest easy knowing their needs will be taken care of, they will become more open to the idea of moving to assisted living.
Residents of assisted living are other seniors who, like them, need help with daily life – fixing meals, going to the toilet in the middle of the night, travel for doctor’s appointments, keeping their house clean.
What do assisted living facilities offer?
The following are generally true for most facilities; check with your local state guidelines.
- Opportunity for social involvement with other seniors their age
- Safety and security because around-the-clock help is available if needed
- Privacy and independence, as each senior or senior couple has their own room, or little apartment
- Activities which involve the residents in many different things like dance, art, music, media, games etc.
- Personalized help plan to meet each resident’s needs
- Accommodates disabilities
- Encourages freedom and independence
- Group dining areas and shared common areas to use for social or recreational activities
- Peace of mind for family members who no longer have to worry about the safety of their loved ones
- Help with laundry
- Programs for exercise and health and wellness
- Housekeeping help to keep rooms clean and tidy
- Help to eat and bathe if necessary
- Help using the toilet if required
- Access to services for health and medical needs
- Three meals cooked and served daily
Each state has their own licensing requirements in regards to assisted living facilities, so check in your location to see what services would be available. An assisted living community helps to avoid the problems of loneliness and isolation. Being home alone and feeling frustrated because you cannot take care of yourself properly leads to depression.
Social interactions in an assisted living facility help each resident to feel loved, important and needed. The community environment is positive and they have lots of opportunities to make new friends.
For more information about Pipestone Place Assisted Living in Hollywood Park, TX or to take a tour, call today (210) 718-0211.
- 7 Benefits of Memory Care for Seniors and Their Loved ones - September 26, 2022
- Memory Care: How to Decide on the ‘When’ and What to Do Until Then - August 30, 2022
- Supporting A Loved One with Dementia: A Guide for Family Caregivers - July 21, 2022