Seniors who make the decision to transition into assisted living facilities have made a major choice in their life. They are leaving a home that they may have been in for decades, possibly on their own for the first time since they were very young, and becoming a part of a new community. While this is a fun and exciting opportunity for your aging loved one to engage with others and enjoy an active and healthy social life, it can also be a frightening and uncomfortable adjustment at times. Especially if your aging loved one has recently suffered the loss of her spouse or is moving many miles away from the place where she has most of her current social circle, transitioning into an assisted living facility may leave your aging loved one feeling isolated and lonely. Helping her through her transition can make things much easier for her, and allow her to make more out of her new community.
One of the best ways to help your aging loved one transition into her assisted living facility and feel more comfortable within her new community is to send her care packages. Getting packages form you will let her know that you love her and are thinking about her, while also giving her some useful items for her new home.
Some of the items you can include in care packages for your loved one include:
- Homemade baked goods using a favorite recipe from your childhood
- Luxurious bath products such as shower gel, bath salts, a loofah sponge, and a pretty towel if she is able to bathe on her own
- Favorite beverages or snack foods
- Scented candles, potpourri, fragrance crystals or sachets to make her apartment smell like “home”
- Special ingredients, spices, or equipment for favorite meals or recipes
- Holiday decorations or items for the home
When planning your care packages for your aging loved one, don’t forget any specific limitations that your senior’s physical or cognitive problems may present. It is also critical that you check with the facility regarding restrictions for items such as candles. If the facility does not allow the burning of candles, send along a candle warmer, which is a small, plug-in plate that warms the bottom of a candle to release the fragrance without the need to light the wick. Also check with the facility to find out how packages are handled. You may need to arrange for a special delivery of the package to ensure it gets to your loved one when you want it to.
For more information about Pipestone Place Assisted Living in Terrell Hill, TX or to take a tour, call today (210) 718-0211.
- Why is hands on, compassionate care important in the moderate to advanced stages of memory loss? - March 15, 2021
- The Importance of Family and Friends - February 3, 2021
- What to Ask During a Visit to An Assisted Living Community - November 16, 2020