Not all assisted living communities are created equal. When it comes time to help your parents move into a center, do some research. Visit and tour some facilities and ask lots of questions.
The best answers come from the residents themselves. If possible, stop and talk with residents and find out how they like the community. What do they think of the food? Are the other residents friendly? Are the staff members helpful and professional?
Some of the obvious benefits of assisted living communities
- Safety for the elderly senior and peace of mind for the family.
- Rides to and from doctor visits and social events.
- Housekeeping of individual apartments is taken care of.
- Social events and planned activities.
- Meals are prepared on-site from fresh ingredients and served.
What are some of the less obvious benefits?
It’s not easy to move from the home you have lived in for decades. Some seniors feel resigned to move into an assisted living community. But until they try it, they don’t know how much they will like it! Sometimes it’s the little things that really make the difference. Shop around for assisted living centers that offer those little extras, such as:
- Beautifully decorated common rooms where the residents can visit
- Ability to request certain types of entertainment, social activities, recreation
- Beauty salon
- Manicures and pedicures
- Barber shop
- Transportation and ticket procurement to go to off-site entertainment such as special concerts, events etc.
Some people say that today’s communities are more like spas or vacation destinations. That’s good to hear! The new centers have all the comforts of home as well as the best fringe benefits you can think of. They make it very appealing to want to live there.
Assisted living is great for couples too
Living in a community is great for couples too, when one or both of them require assistance with daily living activities. In fact, studies show that couples have a stronger relationship and experience more happiness in their golden years when one of them does not have to be sole caretaker of the other. Some of the benefits couples can enjoy:
- All the benefits of single residents.
- They have each other for company.
- Helps the transition from home to assisted living easier because they have each other to lean on.
- They can enjoy each other more and grow a stronger relationship because they are not tied down with everyday tasks of living.
For more information about Pipestone Place Assisted Living Facilities in Hollywood Park, TX or to take a tour, call today (210) 718-0211.
- 7 Things to Consider in a Memory Care Facility This Fall - September 30, 2021
- Why Good Nutrition is Essential for Seniors with Dementia - August 24, 2021
- 7 Tips to Help you Find the Right Memory Care Facility for Your Parent - July 21, 2021